Friday, February 13, 2009

My Special Kids

My kids constantly amaze me and I count my blessing to have them in my life. I have heard it said that parents can learn alot from thier kids - and I am reminded daily how true this is. Unconditional love, compassion and passion - thats what Morgan and Lilly bring to me every day. Although this post is more about Morgan - Lilly has been a gorgeous helpful girl all week and I have been so proud of both of them.

No doubt, wherever you live, you will have heard about the horrific Victorian Bushfires ravaging the state. Last night they have a body count of 180 people, with many missing, scores in critcial conditions in hospital - not to mention the uncounted number of animals and birds burnt to death in the path of the fires. You just go numb at the enormity and horror of it - trying to make sense and meaning out of it all. As a girl from the country and the daughter of the bushfire brigade - I know that this fire was lit deliberatly - but indescribably selfish, unthinking idiots - who are probably kicking back in thier comfortable home, not giving thier actions a second thought. I actually wrote a short story about six months ago - based on a fire that went through our district adn re-reading it - it saddens me to know how true it is. go here to read it.

I heard that a company was taking a ship container down to one of the communities where 1000 people had lost thier homes and that it was leaving the next day. I kicked myself for the huge clean out I had done in Dec - thinking that I would have nothing let to give. However - we went to every drawer and took things out - stuff that we don't need, who needs so many fancy bras, who needs all those tops or shoes - when someonelse has nothing?

The thing that set me off was Morgan. He brought me his monkey. Its one of those returnng favourite toys - he has had it since his first birthday - it always stays on the bed ( where favourite toys are allowed to sleep) and although Buz Lightyear or Bob the builder might be the flavour of the month for a while - the monkey never leaves. He has velcro on his hands so that he can put his arms around you and hug you.

I wrote his words on a card and cried for about 10 mins afterwards. I still tear up when I think about it.
"Please look after this monkey. He is my favourite -but you need him. I hope he makes you smile. Love Morgan 5 years old."

Bye Bye monkey - boy have I got alot to learn about gratitude and giving. These are the magic moments of parenting.

1 comment:

Daniel Brenton said...

This post was highlighted in the February 12 edition of Gratitude Watch.

Thank you for promoting the value of gratitude.